Wednesday, October 04, 2006

weekly post from September 24, 2006

Hellooooooo,

Neither my spouse nor I wrote our emails last week; not unusual for me but very unlike my spouse. The leaves are falling in full force now and I've got to make sure I don't get behind in my raking this year. I was really lax in that area last year and it took the grass a while to recover. There is still a small patch right by our front door that hasn't grown back as a result. It's a reminder to me to get my butt out there and do some yardwork.

We had a kind of busy weekend. On Friday, Jim (his day off) was on his way to a doctor's appointment when the doctor's office called to say the doctor is sick and Jim will have to reschedule. Then he had a funeral in the afternoon and we went to see a really funny movie in the evening called Confetti (you can read about it on my blog). I had to work Friday evening (but I'm off tonight). I don't really mind working on a Friday night if I know I'll have Sunday off. I'd much rather have that night off. Saturday we drove to Big Flats to have lunch with a friend from Elmira (I used to live there). We had a lot of fun catching up and our friend, Eric, recently made a big life change but is much more content and less stressed; always a good thing. Now if we could just get him hooked up with a guy.....

Today we had church and on my way to church I listened to the headline news (at least 2hrs each day); either listening or reading. One of the news stories was about a Target in Tampa in which three shoppers had an incident over the new Tickle Me Elmo doll. Yes, the little red furry monster is stirring up trouble again. When the original Tickle Me Elmo came out a number of years ago, he sparked a craze with shoppers by flying off the shelves. This time around Elmo laughs a bit more hysterically and three shoppers at the above mentioned Target ran to the shelf. The problem: There were only 2 left. One man and an elderly woman got there first and the man took one and gave the other one to the elderly lady. The second man then proceeded to threaten the first man's life if he didn't give up Elmo. Elmo as hostage? No, just another example of the uncivilized world we live in. Jim spoke in his sermon today about how we climb and claw at each other to get what we want. We become insensitive and arrogant; we have the "ME FIRST" attitude. Our culture doesn't help; it exacerbates the situation by filling society with messages that #1 is all there is, win at all costs, and the one I find most cringe-worthy, second is the first loser. Really? Then there are a lot of losers around; I'm one of them. If being a loser means I don't compromise my morals and I'm genuine and honest and faithful, then just hand me my emblazoned t-shirt now. I, like a lot of people, have worked hard to get to a place where I like myself and can look at myself in the mirror and not be ashamed. It's something we should all aspire to.

Take a good look at yourselves this week; really look inside and see if there's anything you would like to change. I'm not saying to go all Nip/Tuck on yourself, I'm saying to challenge yourself to be good to yourself and those you love.


peace,

paul

No comments: