Saturday, August 04, 2007

weekly post from August 3, 2007

Hello friends & loved ones,

It's a hot one today and has been all week. So far today it's gotten up to 97 degrees. I pray you are staying cool.

Jim and I recently watched Jay Bakker's reality show, "One Punk Under God." It was broadcast on the Sundance channel last fall and after watching it I developed a new respect for him. I think I got more out of it than Jim did. I was also fortunate enough to get to shake his hand and have my picture taken with him (twice) at conference in Arizona. I felt like a little schoolgirl with the famous quarterback. The first time I stood in line for my picture with him, instead of hitting the take picture button Jim hit the power button. So I waited in line again and this time the picture was definitely taken. I am so proud of him for the work he is doing with GLBT people.

I recently went out to a local bar a couple of times and both times I handed people one of my deacon cards; a Jay Bakker in the making or just coincidence? Only time will tell.

One other thing that touched me this week was the reemergence of Paul Potts (not PolPot as Jim commented). My friend Dougie sent me his cd in the mail after I had forgotten about him. Paul who? Paul Potts, the guy who earlier this summer simply wowed the judges on Britain's version of America's Got Talent by singing Nessun Dorma. I've included the link below; watch the whole thing. The best part of it, aside from the singing, is the look on crabby Simon Cowell's face. I remember watching it for the first time and both Jim and I thought for sure that he was lip synching. I even poked around online to watch other clips of other tenors singing the same song to see if it sounded the exact same or not. This guy, who worked as a cell phone saleperson, came out of nowhere. He took a chance on national telly and sang his heart out; his passion, his dream. I've often talked about following dreams and passions and taking risks and look where it got this guy.

In other news, today we had to put our 12 1/2 year old Golden Retriever to sleep. He seemed to have really good days and then he would decline again. Of course once we called the vet to come, Brewster, appeared more alert and perky than he had in 6 weeks. I had no idea it would affect me the way it has; I feel empty and like I'm missing a part of my body. Never one who was a dog person, Brewster was so loyal and so loving that I will definitely miss him.

Please pray for each other as I pray for each of you. Remember to stay safe, stay healthy, and stay happy. And for something feel good watch the link at the bottom.

love,

paul

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k08yxu57NA

No comments: