Wednesday, December 03, 2008

music scene

Who says there's nothing good on the radio? There are a number of songs I'm enjoying that are currently in heavy rotation. By the way, the new album by The Killers (Day & Age) is definitely worth the price. Which brings us to the first song, the first single from that album...

"Human" by The Killers: Who cares if the lyrics are cryptic "Are we human or are we dancer? My sign is vital, my hands are cold." What???? It doesn't matter if you're still clueless because the driving beat in this song is a foot-stomping one and makes me want to bob my head and jump up and down with feel good excitement.

"So What" by Pink: Please do not exceed word count.'" by Pink: It's hard to believe that Pink has been around for about eight years. The first single from her fifth studio album is as in your face as ever. When she's not singing about losing her husband, getting into fights and grousing that her table was just given away to Jessica Simpson, Pink is telling that no good louse what a tool he is and how she's having more fun than she ever did when he was around. Ouch! Another foot stomper with some head banging thrown in for good measure.

"Just Dance" by Lady GaGa: Less famously known as Joanne Stefani Germanotta, New York born Lady GaGa's first single from her The Fame album is a perfect club song. We all know what it's like to be the center of attention on the dance floor, don't we? We're out with friends, having fun, maybe one too many drinks and then our ABSOLUTE FAVORITE song comes on and we have to strut our stuff right to the center of the floor. This one's a hip shaker.

"Love Story" by Taylor Swift: Swift's first single from her second album is one of those country songs that kind of sound like pop. In fact, the first time I heard it I thought it was Jewel (who's actually gone country). It's a sweet song that talks about love ala Romeo and Juliet. Two young lovers overcome seemingly insurmountable odds (including one very strict father) to become betrothed to each other.


"Right Now" by Akon: Let's face it Akon or Aliaune Thiam, is still hot (and I mean in terms of success). His first single from his third album is another one of those songs he's become famous for. The ones that get inside your head and refuse to exit. This time it's about a couple who break up (my guess is it was the guy's fault) and he realizes his mistake and pleads with her to make up and link up...right now. The song is a bit racy during the bridge when Akon sings "I wish you could dine with me, one that would grind with me". There's no subtlety there now is there?

"If I Were A Boy" by Beyonce: In this song, pop/R&B princess Beyonce ruminates on how she would act and treat her lady love if she were in fact of the male persuasion. And if I were a girl, I'd wear the flashiest dresses, strut around in the highest heels and stare at myself in the mirror remarking on how pretty I am (oh, wait, I already do that one).

So those are a few of the songs I'm liking these days. What are YOU listening to?

peace,

paul

No comments: