Monday, November 21, 2005

EXCELLENT NEWS!!!!!! My spouse went to the doctor this past week and, after just one shot of Lupron, his psa level went from 22 to 1.62. Lupron is supposed to kill the testosterone in the body which cancer cells thrive on. It does still need to go down further, however, that's terrific. Thank you for your prayers; don't stop. Prayer always helps and works (just don't think of it as a cosmic ATM).

We had some snow this week, just when we were thinking we might not get any until December (or maybe that was just me thinking that). Ahhhhh, winter is here and there's no fighting it so let's all move to Florida.

Earthy eating: My spouse and I have, for some time now, been talking about eating healthier. Well we've finally put a dent into that idea. First, consider this; I'm just a boy from Texas so it's kind of a prerequisite, as a Texan, for me to like meat and in the past I became downright dour if Jim made a dish that didn't include meat. Now we only eat meat once, possibly twice a week (that includes the weekend). I have to say, and it's very strange, that I don't really miss having meat every night. It's really strange I thought I would be hungering for meat but I'm really not. For example, Jim made vegetarian chili with tofu and I never even noticed that there was no meat in it. That could have been because the pieces of tofu were chewy like meat. The Boca burgers and chicken nuggets (faux meat) are good too and taste just like the real thing. We also eat fresh fruit and vegetables every day and not only that but we've started drinking organic milk which, quite honestly, tastes the same as regular milk but it's healthier.

Track the train: Derailed is the new movie that stars Jennifer Aniston as the sexpot. Ok, first of all, Aniston is not who I think of when I hear the word sexpot and secondly Aniston is not a very good actress. She is adequate in the role mainly because the role is a bit vague, kind of like the look on her face during most of the movie. The movie was pretty good for a thriller/gangster/revenge movie even though I did have the twist figured out not even a quarter of the way into the movie. It also made me really glad that I lead an honest life.

Black is back: Maybe it was the family violence that made me think of my own childhood, maybe it was watching a fellow tortured soul, or maybe it was just that the film had more emotional oomph than last year's dead singer movie, Ray, but I totally enjoyed the film Walk The Line. To prepare for the film I listened to my one Johnny Cash cd. Walk the Line tells the story of Cash's early years; from 1944 as a 12-year-old growing up in Arkansas to 1968 just before he and June Carter got married. It chronicles his brother's death, start up as a musician, first marriage, drug abuse and ultimate engagement to June. Both Reese Witherspoon (June) and Joaquin Phoenix (Johnny) did their own singing and playing. Witherspoon is good as June but I've never thought she was an actress with a lot of depth; Phoenix, however, is the real star. He is superb as Cash and it was interesting to hear how his sound evolved over the years. Phoenix's performance as Cash is revelatory (I sound like such a critic) and extra poignant points for Phoenix because he too had an older brother that died. And, no, Cash did not always wear black. The film is ultimately about two people fighting their demons, fears, and doubts and deciding to love themselves and not care about what others think. Something many of us, myself included, can take a lesson from. It's our life so WE have to live it, not somebody else.

No comments: