Wednesday, March 08, 2006

settled dust

Ok, I've gotten over the disappointment of the Oscars. While I agree with the men who won acting Oscars, I'm very much in disagreement with the women. Amy Adams and Felicity Huffman were robbed. But why? First off, Felicity Huffman's role in Transamerica may have been too risky, too daring for the Academy. What's more, the film was not widely seen and the role was not flashy either. As for Adams, her role in Junebug was THE most refreshing of all 5 supporting actresses. Again the film was not popular and therefore probably not widely seen. Have YOU heard of Junebug? As my friend Francine said, "It was a popularity contest this year." While that is not always true, it was very much so this year; unfortunately. As far as the major awards went this year there really weren't any surprises. I did keep hoping for a best actress upset though. I did correctly predict that Crash would win best pic but I'm sure there were more than a few people who were surprised when it took the big prize. Many people were probably hankering for a Brokeback win. Having said that, it's not too early to start looking for potential nominees for next year's show. Keep an eye out for brilliant and stand out performances and superb movies. Let me know if you see one!!!

peace out,

paul

No comments: