Saturday, May 06, 2006

Saturday

I went to see the film Akeelah and the Bee with some friends from church and it's definitely a feel good movie. It's not overly sentimental and have a terrific ending. There's also a surprising amount of humor. It tells the story of an 11-year-old girl in South LA who is flunking out of school and is pushed to participate in the school spelling bee. She may be skipping classes and not passing her classes, however, spelling is where she shines. She ends up going all the way to the Nationals with the help of her coach, played by Laurence Fishburne. It's a different kind of role for Fishburne and refreshing too. The film also stars Angela Bassett and Keke Palmer plays Akeelah.

Speaking of things I like, I'm really enjoying the song Black Horse and the Cherry Tree by KT Tunstall. It's an upbeat song with a different sort of sound and was recently sung on American Idol by one of the more talented contestants. She did the song proud.

Not much else going on this Saturday. My spouse and I are sitting here; he's reading and I'm watching I Love Lucy. After seeing just about every episode, more than once, it still makes me laugh. Of course my all time favorite is the vitavetavegamin episode.

Take care.

paul

No comments: