Friday, May 12, 2006

This year marks 25 years since the word AIDS became a permanent part of our vocabulary. I don't have a solid memory of hearing about AIDS before 1985 (I was 12 that year) but I'm sure I must have. The first memory I have is when news broke that Rock Hudson had AIDS. I used to secretly (after my mom thought I went to bed) watch Dynasty on Wednesday nights and I used to read Soap Opera Digest (the quintessential soap opera magazine) so I knew the story and what had happened. Had he infected Linda Evans when he kissed her on Dynasty? Who knew the 50's and 60's era heartthrob was gay? Today there are over 40 million people living with the disease and more than 25 million have died. There's a very informative and well-written cover story on AIDS in this week's Newsweek magazine with contributions from Melinda Gates, Bill Clinton and Peter Piot, a doctor who has been tracking the disease since the 70's. It's definitely worth checking out. And remember, let's respect our bodies and the bodies of others and play it safe...no matter what!

peace,

paul

No comments: