Thursday, February 12, 2009

Remake Madness

Tomorrow is Friday the 13th and with that comes a new Friday the 13th movie which I have absolutely no intention of seeing or Netflixing. This movie, the 12th in the series, is supposedly a reworking of the first 3 Friday the 13th movies. Apparently, the original three just weren't good enough. I remember seeing the first film at the drive-in with my mom and dad. My mom liked horror movies; I was 7. By the way, I'm a good case study for children who grow up watching horror movies turning out just fine, thank you. Anyway, I have seen all of the other Friday the 13th films, including that so-stupid-it's-funny one with Freddy Krueger. Speaking of Freddy Krueger, there's a remake of Nightmare On Elm Street slated to be released as well.

Enough already! Didn't they learn anything when they remade Psycho? Talk about stinky!!! And the remakes just keep on coming; Star Trek, The Taking Of Pelham 1-2-3 and I'm sure there are plenty others in addition to such classics as Ocean's Eleven, A Christmas Carol, The Longest Yard and Time Machine, to name just a few.

And don't even get me started on the sequels and the movie versions of television shows. Why can't we just have more originality? Is that so much to ask for? I know the saying, 'there are no original ideas' but there are original ways to tell those ideas.

I for one will be enjoying my Friday the 13th (no, I'm not superstitious) away from the movie theater.

peace,

paul

No comments: