Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Wednesday windbag

Ok, first of all, I've got nothing against people who chew tobacco; in fact, my first lover chewed tobacco much to my disgust but I believe there are appropriate and inappropriate places to do it. Having said that, I was appalled yesterday while in line at Blockbuster. The way the line forms in this particular Blockbuster is it kind of snakes around some candy displays and from where I was standing I was able to make a quarter turn in order to see who was standing behind me and get a front view of the cash registers. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the guy behind me holding a cup in one hand and his movies in the other. In the cup he was spitting...His chewing tobacco!!!! It was all I could do to keep my jaw from dropping to the video store floor. I was grossed out; not only by the effrontery of the man but by his brazen display of his nasty habit. In a few years he'll probably have cancer of the mouth, lose part of his tongue and still be chewing. I don't care if you chew, just don't do it in a public place, especially where children might be.

It's not a good time to be Down Under because you might find a snake in your toilet or crocs on the road. Continued storms in Sydney have sent the wildlife scurrying for dry land or some sort of safe haven. The poor crocs are being washed into the streets. One 5.25-foot-long croc had to be treated for an eye injury and several broken teeth (aren't broken teeth on a crocodile a good thing?...The less to eat you with). As for the snakes, people have taken to shooing them out the door with brooms. If you live in Australia, try to stay dry and double check the toilet before sitting down!

peace,

paul

No comments: