Saturday, September 03, 2005

It's the Saturday before Labor Day and what a glorious weather day it is. On the Saturday before Labor Day last year, I was 15,000 feet in the air making my first tandem skydive. I remember being absolutely petrified and I don't remember the first 2 seconds right after I jumped. I do remember the roar of the wind (it's not an exaggeration) as we were free falling. I would do it again in a second (it is expensive, however, and an almost three hour drive from where we live).

The Christian fundamentalist groups are blaming the destruction in Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana on God. They are saying that God has punished New Orleans because it is a wicked city full of debauchery. I don't buy that for one second. God does not control the weather; weather is determined by jet streams, ocean currents, the moon, the sun, and to some extent humans. If God were to blame then we could blame ALL disasters on God. Hell let's just blame Bush's election and re-election on God (I didn't know God was a Republican). Ok, I could go on for pages and pages. I'll just say this, God has no say in the weather.

Enjoy your day,

paul

No comments: