Friday, October 14, 2005

Anytown, USA: I went to see Cameron Crowe's (Say Anything, Jerry Maguire) new movie Elizabethtown. The film stars Orlando Bloom (he of the flowing blond hair in the Lord of the Rings movies) and ever effervescent Kirsten Dunst. Bloom plays Drew who is fired after a major failure at work. And after he finds out his father died, he goes down to Kentucky to bury him and mourn him. Along the way he meets Claire (Dunst) who teaches him about life and eventually the two end up falling for each other. As with many of his other movies Crowe douses the film with music; the music ultimately makes the film upstaging both Dunst and Bloom. Having said that Bloom does do a fine job in a modern role. Dunst, however, is a different story. Don't get me wrong she is perky and fun but everytime she was on screen I kept picturing her in a truly evil and nasty role. Someone with no morals who hides behind that bubbly smile. I've never been a fan of romantic comedies; there are some out there that I really enjoy but I can't think of any right now. I did really like Shaun of the Dead but that was technically a zom rom com (zombie romantic comedy).

Oscar video pick of the week: Have I ever picked such a recent film (if 10 years is recent) to highlight. Braveheart, the ultra violent and historical film directed by Mel Gibson is this week's pick. I remember when this film was nominated for the Oscar and reading about how it was so violent and that such a film could not possibly win the prize. It ultimately did win the prize and Gibson won best director too. The film tells of Scotsman William Wallace who leads a revolt against England's Edward I, the tyrannical king of England in the 13th century. It's the country of Scotland that's at stake and Gibson's film is really an art film in disguise. It's evident in almost every scene. Not only that but the film is a precursor to Gibson's The Passion of the Christ, it could even be considered a companion piece. All of the elements are there right down to the cross that Wallace is placed on as his fate is sealed. Angus MacFadyen shines as Robert the Bruce, the man who betrays Wallace only to discover that he wants to be as courageous as the man. Unfortunately the film garnered no acting noms. Oh well, you can't win them all.

Jaw dropper of the day: As if you needed more proof that we live in a truly sick and twisted world, here it is. Peggy Jo Conner of Ford City, PA, was arrested on the charge of aggravated assault and attempted homicide after she clubbed her neighbor, drove her to the woods and tried to cut her neighbor's baby out with a knife. Conner hit Valerie Oskin over the head with a baseball bat. Luckily a driver happened upon the women and Oskin had to undergo a Caesarean section at a hospital. Conner's home contained baby paraphernalia and her husband believed she was pregnant. Thankfully Conner is now in jail without bail.

One more: I've written about this show before but I can't stop raving about it. I recently watched the entire second season of Arrested Development. This show used to be on Sunday nights, a night that my spouse and I watch other shows that conflicted with Development. The tv Gods have smiled on us (or me anyway) as the show moved to Monday night this season. This show has a lot of truly laugh out loud and irreverent moments. 97% of the comedies on tv don't make me laugh out loud; chuckle, yes, giggle, certainly, but Arrested causes me to guffaw. And with such guest stars as Martin Short, Henry Winkler (gone now), Ed Begley Jr., Ben Stiller, Zach Braff, and Dick Van Patten, the show has it going on. I wish the ratings were better. I've never believed that just because a show doesn't get good ratings that it's not a good show. Throughout tv history there have been many shows that have gotten good ratings that weren't very good at all (in my humble opinion anyway). And now this season has Charlize Theron as hunky Jason Bateman's (yes hunky) romantic interest.

that's all for now,

paul

No comments: