Friday, April 13, 2007

I-Mess

Keith Olbermann refers to the Don Imus brouhaha as I-Mess, so I've borrowed it from him. It's sad that this news item is still dominating the airwaves; he's been fired already, let it go. I understand that people want to debate the race issue, however, there are more important things to worry about in the world right now and the man is gone; he's no longer on the air. Do I think he should have been fired? No. I do realize this is not the first time he's made racist remarks, however, I truly believe that he is being made an example of. If I were Glenn Beck, Michael Savage, Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter or gangsta rappers (all of whom have made their share of racist, homophobic, bigoted remarks) I would be quaking in my studio chair right about now and being extra careful of what is said. If I were Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson, I would be focusing on these yahoos that continue to play on the airwaves and continue to make noxious remarks. Let's put this story to bed once and for all and stop beating a dead (or in this case fired) horse. And, by the way, a civil rights activist should stand up and speak out against ALL civil injustices. You can't call yourself a civil rights activist and then pick and choose which slurs to get riled up over. What about Isaiah Washington from Grey's Anatomy still being employed after using the word faggot? What about the Duke Lacrosse guys who are now deemed innocent and have to live with the title of rapist for the rest of their lives? What about Ann Coulter still being embraced by the Republican party after calling John Edwards a faggot? And speaking of Ann Coulter, she is much worse than 10 Don Imus's. I've heard it said that her vitriol is done for shock effect. I don't care what effect it's used for; it's hateful and disgusting.

peace,

paul

No comments: