Sunday, February 03, 2008

weekly email from January 25, 2008

The "Oh, Oh, listen to the music" edition
Hello friends & loved ones,

Well, there have been plenty of weeks when I've neglected to write a weekly email but I can't remember the last time I wrote it on a Wednesday night; if there has ever been a time. There was a time when I had no excuse for not writing a weekly email (laziness is not an excuse but it is used as such) but now I actually have one. Now I write all day and can use the excuse that I don't want to write at the end of the day but here I am doing it; not for my health but for the exercise of it and for your pleasure...

Remember in the 70's and 80's and sometimes 90's when a soundtrack from a movie would come out and it would be filled with pop hits? I remember those from the 80's and 90's and have bought more than a few from all three decades. Many of today's soundtracks have nothing but recycled songs or songs that will never be released and many of the songs are by less than stellar artists. Having said that, I've recently seen three movies whose soundtracks I'm completely enjoying. When I see a movie I listen to the music. The music in a movie plays a very important role and it is often disregarded in favor of other things such as dialogue, action and plot. The music is also a part of those things and if the wrong music is chosen it can be very detrimental and/or distracting. The three movies I recently saw (almost in a row) whose soundtracks I'm currently listening to are Juno, Atonement, and There Will Be Blood (that's the order in which I saw the movies). Two of those soundtracks are made up of instrumental music and the other one features songs with titles like "Up The Spout", "Tire Swing", and "Vampire." I can't tell you which soundtrack I purchased before the above mentioned soundtracks but I can tell you this, those three are getting a workout. I hope whatever you are doing and wherever you are this week that you are listening to the music and enjoying it.

I've actually written some recent stuff on my blog (again, I do it for the exercise and for YOUR pleasure) so feel free to check it out and I always appreciate comments; negative and positve. You can even read which movie I actually gave a perfect score too. I don't believe there has ever been a movie I've written about that has gotten a perfect score. And this weekend I'll break down the results of the Academy Award nominations. I'm all a-twitter about them. If only I had a place in which to host an informal Academy Awards party or even attend an informal Academy Awards party; it's one of my dreams.


peace,
paul

No comments: