Saturday, October 18, 2008

weekly post from October 17, 2008

Hello friends and loved ones,

The smell of autumn is permeating the air outside and the leaves are dropping from the trees fast and furiously. Even though I've been somewhat out of commission for the last week and a half, thanks to bronchitis and pneumonia, it's great to be alive and to be able to breathe.

This email was inspired by a brief conversation I particiapted in at church and as I was formulating how to begin and what to say, a song came on that I really like. A song, I might add, by a rapper I had brought up in the aforementioned conversation. The song is called "Lose Yourself" and I lost myself in it as I blasted as high as it would go without the bass starting to shake, rattle and roll the car.

If you're not familiar with the song, it's ok because you might be familiar with the artist: Eminem. Yes, I listen to the occasional rap song and, yes, I like Eminem's music. We hang out with friends and family everyday and think we know them like the back of our hands and then BOOM! we discover something we never would have guessed; such as Paul likes Eminem's music.

Now don't get me wrong, I don't like some of the things Eminem has said and done in the past but I can separate the two and realize that despite his messy personal life he is still a talented songwriter and has crafted some great tunes.

Just as we don't really have a rhyme or reason as to who we choose to love, I also believe that each person likes different things (even the most shocking) for different reasons. Would I let my kids listen to Eminem? Not a chance! At least not until they are 18.

Some other things I like: Fish (just about any kind), Survivor, Akon, country music, singing in the car, Newsweek magazine, silver as opposed to gold, Keith Olbermann, documentaries and a good bottle of Pinot Noir.

So, as you're going along this weekend and the coming days; don't be ashamed of what you like. You are you and nobody else. Therefore, enjoy what you like with pride. And remember it doesn't make you a bad person if you listen to rap...it might be a different story if you start taking some of the words to heart, however.

Next week: Falling out of love? Fact or Myth?

Until then pray for each other as I pray for you.

Stay safe, stay happy and stay healthy.

peace,

paul

No comments: