Saturday, January 03, 2009

weekly post from December 25, 2008

Hello friends & loved ones,

I had not anticipated writing another email before Christmas but so much has happened since I last wrote that I decided to share some more. At work on Tuesday we had a Festivus celebration (For those of you who don't know what the heck Festivus is, it's a holiday that was talked about in a Seinfeld episode and is a pseudo holiday where things like the Airing of Grievances, Feats of Strength and the anti Christmas tree, a stark aluminum pole all feature prominently.). We did the Airing of Grievances which was more of a top 10 things that happened this past year that related to the company or the 11th floor and not actual grievances against specific people. There was plenty of food and the feats of strength were very interesting and lots of fun. I participated in 3 team events (the 4th was the Hula Hoop competition which I would have done terribly in) sit-ups, push-ups and password. I choked on the sit-ups (not for lack of trying, I'm convinced the person holding my feet was not holding them down tight enough) and these were military style; half-up, up, down, half up, half down, etc.... The winner was this tiny girl (really a young woman) whose parents came from India and she and I were the last ones "standing" during the push-ups competition which I handily won. Again, it was half up, down, half down, up, etc... One of the guys in the push-ups competition (there were four including me) was a football player who was the first to croak.

The password competition was also something I/my team dominated in. We won two rounds of password. I was the giver and the receiver was a good ten years younger than me and actually guessed Jane when given the clue of plain. So, if I'm ever at a party and you play password, I'm your giver. I was a little upset I lost the sit-ups for my team but then someone said that it was good because another team got some glory too.

This evening is the annual candlelight Christmas Eve service where me and Michelle will sing our yearly rendition of O Holy Night; my favorite carol. I hope wherever you are today, tonight, tomorrow and in the coming days that you are safe, healthy and happy.

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays to your household.

love,

paul

No comments: