Saturday, July 22, 2006

wicked witch

This past week the Governor of Virginia, Tim Kaine, pardoned a woman who was imprisoned. The woman was accused of being a witch....300 years ago. Back in 1706, Grace Sherwood, was accused of being a witch and her neighbors decided to test their theory. Her thumbs were tied to her big toes in a cross bound manner and she was put in the water. The belief was that water was pure and would not allow a witch to sink into its depths. Sherwood didn't sink, she floated. As a result, she was considered guilty. I'm half tempted to try this myself just to see if I would float. In fact, next time I'm in the water, I think I'll have someone do that. Kaine issued an informal pardon and it doesn't really matter because she died 266 years ago. The only people it would matter to would be her descendants. The other side to this is that if Sherwood had sunk she would have been innocent but she also would have drowned. Like any one of her neighbors would dare jump in and save her.

paul

No comments: