Friday, February 16, 2007

free flow Friday cont.

This past week former NBA player, John Amaechi, came out of the closet and came out with a book titled Man In The Middle. Yesterday current NBA player, Tim Hardaway made his thoughts known loud and clear about how he feels. When asked on the program Sports Talk 790 The Ticket, how he would react if he found out one of his teammates was gay, Hardaway said that he and any other player would either ask to get traded or have the gay player traded to another team or have the player's contract brought out. He also said (quoting here), "I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I don't, you know, yeah, I am homophobic."

As a result of his comments, the NBA said Hardaway would not play in the upcoming all-star game. Hardaway did apologize but only for making his views about his homophobia known. This guy is a piece of work. If I was a kid and I was a basketball fan, I would toss any paraphernalia I had that featured Hardaway or his number. I think he's the one who should have his contract bought out. How can he (especially as a black man) look himself in the mirror after such blatant bigotry?

Amaechi may have come out of closet and may no longer be playing professional basketball but you can't tell me that there aren't other pro b-ball players who are gay; maybe even on Hardaway's team. And he showers with them (oh, how can he stand it?).

peace,

paul

No comments: