Monday, February 26, 2007

Oscar overall

The show is over and the excitement has come to an end for another year. I was quite surprised by how well I did; scoring about 90% in terms of correct guesses. Out of 24 I correctly guessed 22 missing Best Live Action Short and Supporting Actor. With Supporting Actor, I went with front runner Eddie Murphy instead of my gut. I had a feeling in the back of my mind that Alan Arkin could have possibly won but went with what seemed like sure shot Murphy. And besides it would have just been too much for the Academy to award three black actors in one year.

I thought Ellen did an okay job; I wasn't blown away. She tried to take the stuffiness out of the ceremony which is always a good thing and she had some funny moments. The dancers behind the screen that shaped themselves into different things was cool. The song and dance segment with Jack Black, Will Ferrell, and John C. Reilly was just weird and lame. The best quote of the night though was backstage. After winning for best song, Melissa Etheridge said, "This is the only naked man that will ever be in my bedroom." I also enjoyed the little skit with Emily Blunt and Anne Hathaway from The Devil Wears Prada and they joked that neither one of them got Meryl Streep a cappuccino. Then cut to Streep in the audience as she glared at them a la her character from Prada. One other bit I enjoyed was when Al Gore started talking about how he had an announcement and then suddenly the music cut him off. The joke was that he was going to announce his bid for Presidency.

Time to put the calculations and celebrating away for another year. But just like the seasons coming back, so too will the little gold man.

paul

No comments: