Thursday, June 29, 2006

weekly post from April 1, 2006

The "no, it's not an April Fool's joke" edition

Hello friends & loved ones,

It's that time of year again, the time in which we lose an hour of precious sleep. Yes, tonight before you go to bed, make sure to set your clocks one hour ahead. Spring forward if you will; just don't break a leg doing it (haha, I kill me).

This past week started out chilly and yesterday was positively sweltering; it wasn't really hot but it felt hot in the 70's because of the chilly weather we had been having.

Not April Fools: If someone had told me a year ago that I would be preaching, I would have laughed them out of the room. I was installed as a Deacon in January and when all of the Deacons got together for our first meeting, Jim went around the room and asked each Deacon to name one gift they felt called to do. When it came time for me to say what I felt called to do, the words were out of my mouth before I even realized I was speaking, "I think preaching." I was mortified and right on the spot, Jim picked a date for me to preach. That date is this Sunday, the first day of daylight savings time (not that the two are significant to each other). This will be my second sermon; the first was in front of the deacon class. This one will be in front of the whole church and it's eerie but I'm not quite as nervous as I thought I would be. Tomorrow may be different but it feels like this is what I want to do; to share my stories and inspire people. All I want out of it is for the message to be powerful. What are you called to do? We are all called to do something and we each have gifts to share with others. Part of the journey is figuring out what those gifts are. Happy hunting.

No comments: