Sunday, December 25, 2005

weekly post-December 17,2005

Another week has ended and the weekend has begun. I actually finished my Christmas shopping yesterday. I avoided the crowds this year as I only shopped in the early morning and I did not shop on Black Friday. Most of the stuff I bought this year I purchased online (how very convenient and addictive) and I was surprised at how creative I was in terms of what to get Jim. He's very difficult to shop for. He's one of those people who never say what they want and when they are asked they always hem and haw. Or when he is asked what he wants, always says, "I have everything I want."

Last evening we had dinner with a couple from church. One of the women is best friends with the mother of Phillip Seymour Hoffman. Hoffman, a native of Fairport, NY, is currently portraying Truman Capote in the aptly titled film Capote. It truly is a small world.

Today we have a meeting of the artsy fartsy film group; a group that meets once a month to see a non-mainstream movie. I'm very disappointed that we aren't seeing Brokeback Mountain but that's only because it's not yet playing in Rochester. Sadly, Rochester is not one of the "special select cities" that movies open up in before going wide. It really is Rottenchester. I shouldn't say that because Rochester does have a lot of good qualities. We could live in worse places.

Stranger than fiction (I can't make this stuff up): Have you got a problem with your plumbing? Check your basement-for people. One woman in Spokane, WA, had a problem with her plumbing and called the water department. The water department found the basement door barricaded and eventually realized there was someone behind the door, that's when police were called. A 36-year old naked man was found in the basement, no clothes were found and he was taken into custody by the police. The pipe, it was discovered, had been broken and then repaired, obviously not very well. Kind of gives Desperate Housewives's storyline of the man in the basement a run for its money. Creepy!!!

No comments: