Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Oscar odds

Of the 5 nominees in the 8 major races of the Academy Awards, or what I like to consider major, I predicted 29 out of 40. That sounds so much better than the percentage amount (it was 72.5 %). That sounds terrible. There were a few surprises though so I'm not feeling too bad. William Hurt got a nod for Best Supporting Actor; The Constant Gardener and Walk The Line both got shut out of the Director and Picture races; I should have known that Russell Crowe wouldn't get nominated and that instead David Strathairn would get a nod; although I did allude to that in one of my previous posts. I was also a bit surprised that Munich got a best pic nod and Steven Spielberg a best director nod since it had been shut out of some of the other major awards races. Another best pic and director surprise was Capote and Bennett Miller for directing. It was nice to see Jake Gyllenhaal get a supporting actor nod. Also cool was to see Paul Haggis get a directing nod for Crash and to see Crash get a best pic nod.

Some other nods that would have been nice to see: Peter Sarsgaard for Jarhead; Ralph Fiennes for The Constant Gardener; and Taraji P. Henson for Hustle & Flow.

Oh well, not too bad, I suppose but now comes the trickier part of actually predicting the right one to win. May I do better than 72.5%!!!

paul

No comments: