Saturday, February 26, 2005

best picture

The final category that I'll predict. It's always exciting to me when the best pic envelope is opened, even when I know a film I didn't like is going to win. This year's race is arguably the hardest to predict since 1996 when The English Patient took the prize. The English who? Exactly. Seriously, though, a very good movie.

Some previous winners include: Gone With The Wind, Rebecca, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Amadeus, Titanic and of course, LOTR:The Return Of The King.

Interestingly, neither The Passion of the Christ or Fahrenheit 9/11 were nominated in this category. Arguably the two biggest films of last year and they are absent from the race.

The Aviator: Exciting from beginning to end. The visuals were cool, the movie was never boring and of all five movies, it's the one I liked the best. Should win

Finding Neverland: My second fav of the five. Depp is wonderful and the high point, for me, was the boy who played Peter who became the inspiration for Peter Pan. I'm still not over the fact that he wasn't nominated.

Million Dollar Baby: A surprise nominee and possibly a surprise winner. Like the twist in the movie that one doesn't see coming, there could be another knockout on Sunday. Will Win

Ray: Another ho hum nominee and again it's all about Foxx.

Sideways: The worst movie of the year, in my opinion and the weakest nominee, also in my opinion. It won Best Ensemble at the SAG awards and won best comedy film at the Golden Globes, however, it's too small to win best pic.

Tomorrow night I'll be offering up lots of comments on the show. So stay tuned......

No comments: